Thursday 10 February 2022

New personal best

Linda and I made another visit to the Expo on Tuesday after our morning in the colourful world of House of Colour. We arrived just about lunchtime, enjoyed a lobster roll in the African food hall Alkebulan, then had a coffee break in Portugal in the afternoon and later on dinner in Greece; but still managed to do a personal best when it comes to pavilion visits - 32 of them!

Again, almost only small ones, so they are quick to visit and also situated close to each other. It is easily done to work your way through quite a few of them in a short time. Brace for a photo explosion! (So many photos, so most of them without further comments.) Starting with Malaysia, where they had a lovely movie simulating the rain forest. Made me homesick for Brunei..:


Panama and Argentina:


Uruguay:


Canada. A bit disappointing actually, a beautiful pavilion, but it only presented us visitors with a movie. We both left feeling a bit - "was that all?"


Philippines on the other hand, quickly sailed up onto my top-5 of the pavilions I have seen so far. Such an amazingly structured pavilion, beautiful on the outside and the inside - and full of fabulous artworks!





Portugal, which I also enjoyed. Enthusiastic pavilion hosts, and a fun interactive display:



And pavilions that make something extra out of the exit corridors and/or stairways, get plus points in my book! Just look here how pretty it was, in the Portugal pavilion:


Venezuela:


Yemen:


Some of the small pavilions are mighty impressive and have really used every part of their pavilion space. Look here at Comoros, colourful, decorated and engaging from floor to ceiling!


Maldives, I liked their tagline, ha ha - "99% water, 1% land, 100% paradise"! On my travel bucket list for sure!


Madagascar, and all I could hear in my head was 'I like to move it, move it'..!


Romania. They had some really cool VR experiences in their pavilion, and of course, Brâncusi!


Tajikistan:


Bahamas:


Andorra, a small country but loads to offer:


Cuba:


Another surprising country, I had no idea that Georgia had so much to offer! I know people often travel there from the UAE, to go skiing, made it really made me want to go there and explore their culture - and their wine making!



Burkina Faso:


Mozambique:


Guinea, who had a "waterfall" in their pavilion!

And a representation of a Nimba headdress outside. We have one of these in Louvre Abu Dhabi too!


Papau New Guinea, big in coffee production:


Gabon:



Bangladesh:


Lesotho:


Greece, a pavilion I would've wanted to present more the beautiful nature, their culture and history. Too futuristic for my taste, but we decided to have our dinner in their rooftop restaurant - and that was best decision all day! The food tasted just like in Greece, super authentic, and was de-licious!



Costa Rica:


Botswana:


Albania:


Mauretania, one of the countries I was so happy to discover, as I knew nothing about it beforehand. This is really the beauty here - you get to "travel" to so many places where you will probably never go, and learn so much!

Poland, another architectural marvel and for sure one of the most beautiful pavilions, both on the outside and inside. I really enjoyed their pavilion, both the building and the exhibit:


We exited through the Mobility gate, and after having done two rounds on the parking shuttle bus (it was too dark ok... and maybe we were also talking a bit... but we missed our stop and ended up back where we began and had to go again...) - we left Expo2020, really happy and content after another amazing visit, and amazing day all together!
Less than 50 days left now of this 'Greatest show on earth'! The heat is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment