Sunday 22 November 2020

The great hopelessness

I woke up today feeling the blues of the great hopelessness rolling in again.

I usually spend some time each morning with my morning coffee reading the news, and honestly, there is not much in the news these days that is uplifting, quite the contrary.
I glance through both Swedish media, NZ news and our local news reports, and it's been particularly interesting throughout 2020 to notice the different picture that is painted in each place. Interesting to get different points of view, but also surprising at times, and rather scary.

Lately the extremely one-sided reports in Swedish media about the "Swedish model" have started to decrease. I get the impression from the news, but also from my social media feeds, that it's only now at this point that many in Sweden are realizing the severity of this pandemic and its effects. Or not.
The Swedish PM talked to the nation tonight for the second time during this Covid-crisis (and only the fourth time in history) - and asked people to be more responsible, to do their part. I can't believe that was needed, how some people seem almost surprised that Covid is still around.
Well *duh*...
This is no little bump in the road, this is a whole Mount Everest we need to conquer. And even when we do, if we succeed, I really don't think life will ever go back to "normal", or to whatever it used to be. Finding a vaccine seems to be the only way out of this, but what happens when a new strand of the virus emerges? Back to square one? Starting all over again, with lockdowns and restrictions?

Some days it all feels just endless. All these big questions with no answers, not always easy to deal with.
I hope tomorrow is a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment