Wednesday 27 May 2020

Corona Diary, Day 74-78. Eid Mubarak

Day 74, Friday 22 May
A long weekend ahead. The moon sighting committee is meeting today and then we will find out how long. Ha ha, not that it matters, every day is the same for us anyway really! This must have been the most unnoticed month of Ramadan we have ever experienced after 13 years living in Muslim countries. (Edit: No moon, so Eid starts on Sunday. Five-day weekend it is.)

Today I just had enough enough enough of this thing we currently call life.
Enough. Completely.
I read somewhere that people go through quarantine a bit like grief, and it seems like I have hit the phase of aggression. I'm not sad anymore, just angry. I'm so sick of "trying to make the best of every day"; I'm sick of our house, sick of being at home, sick of being inside, sick of looking outside at the 50 shades of beige, sick of waiting,waiting for - better times? So sick of it. So SO sick of it.

(Change sourdough bread for banana bread and it's right on!)

I'm envious of the freedom they have in Sweden (even if I still don't agree with their overall strategy), and I really don't want to see or hear anymore about the lovely spring sunshine there. I can't help but spitefully just wish for an endless summer with rain or that it was October so all the people in Sweden would have to creep back inside too. Sorry.

Day 75, Saturday 23 May
Don't really have much to write about today (either).
A friend got in touch with "Good to see that you are keeping busy at least!" Busy? Well, if you consider busy not thinking further than planning your next meal or which TV-show you'll watch during your next workout, ha ha!
Did a Zoom with my Mum & Dad today, as it's Mormor's birthday.We had spruced up fried rice for dinner, from the left-overs of yesterdays Chinese take-away.Did my workout, read a book.
That's about it. Again.
Busy? No, not so much...

Day 76, Sunday 24 May. "Cov-Eid al Fitr"
Sure, I probably could've stretched it another day or even two but I really needed to get out of the house for a bit, so I did the only thing we can do for a change of scenery - I went for groceries, all we have for slight entertainment. Today being the first day of Eid, there was very few people in the supermarket for a change, and no queues nowhere.

Many people hope things will maybe open up a bit more after Eid. I do too of course, but I couldn't care less about more restaurants, bars or more shops - I had hoped that the beaches, parks and mangrove areas would be allowed to open before it gets too hot to enjoy them. I also hope we will soon be allowed to do house visits, since visiting family has been allowed all this time; but how many expats have actual family here? People are people, the virus certainly doesn't care if you are related or not.

Day 77, Monday 25 May

This long sure weekend has given us a preview of how the summer holidays will look like if we have to spend those nine weeks here. Everybody stays up really late, and then sleeps in for the whole morning... Not that we have anywhere to be, but still.
Today was just another Groundhog Day with the same few holding points - morning coffee, workout and cooking dinner. We cooked more delicious homemade ravioli, but unfortunately we seem to have now broken the pasta machine, so now we have to wait for the KitchenAid attachment I have ordered to turn up before we can have more fresh pasta.

Day 78, Tuesday 26 May
Oh my, this is not a very interesting post, but it really has been some rough days mood wise.
Today was another repeat of yesterday, and the day before, and the day before.
Roast beef for dinner. Finished one book and started another. That's about it. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment