Sunday 5 December 2021

Retro Blast Roller Disco

I celebrated the 50th at the Louvre Abu Dhabi, my "happy place", on Friday night. The cultural programming team had organized a Retro Blast Roller Disco Party under the dome, where you were welcome to come and roller skate after hours, together with the MadRollers crew.
My friend Kathleen and I got super excited, and even bought our own roller skates last week in preparation for this event!

The set-up was amazing, with the roller skating rink placed under the dome and pictures from all over the country, both new and old, displayed on the museum buildings.


Lighting and music was top notch as well, DJ Bliss from Dubai made sure the whole session was one big party. I must say, it sure was the closest we have come to a proper night out in a long, long time! We skated, and danced - all while laughing and smiling from ear to ear the whole time!


One of the favourite shots of the night - loved these photos of the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.



I managed to stand upright almost the whole session, only fell over twice, ha ha! Once was my own doing, the other time I was run into. Luckily I didn't break anything, which was a bit of a worry beforehand. (You can have a look at my Instagram @dinsvenskaguideiabudhabi for some videos from the event!)


My friend Kathleen and I! And no, we didn't call and coordinate our outfits before coming! We apparently just happened to both think that stripes were retro..! :) In all honesty, I picked out my top as it matched the laces on my new roller skates! It's all about the look, don't you know!



We had the best time!! So much fun to try something new! Well, 30 years ago I was a "roller groupie" in Paris, hanging out every Sunday with the cool roller skate gang doing street performances outside Notre Dame; but that's as close as I got. It was great to get to move, vibe and enjoy the good music; and share that joy with the people there, feel like the world was normal, even for just a few hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment