Friday 26 May 2023

Doha, Day 3. 3-2-1 Sports Museum

On my last day, Anna had some prior engagements, so I ventured out with an Uber to discover the last two museums. I started at the 3-2-1 Qatar Olympic and Sports Museum.


Mashrabiya roof:


Surprisingly, it was actually quite interesting! Well, I am a curious person, and open for most things - but I am not a very sporty person. Obviously I enjoyed the very first part the most, the part that spoke about the history of sports:


This part took me on a journey through the history of sport across the globe, from ancient to modern times. It was interesting as it was separated into geographic and thematic sections. Very well done.




Even in this museum I would take note of things reminding me of objects we showcase at the Louvre Abu Dhabi.


The second part brought me into the story of the Olympic Games. It showcased objects connected with the long history of the Olympic Games, from Greek Antiquity until today.


There was a gallery which included a display of every torch from the Summer and Winter Olympics from 1936 onwards.



Olympic mascots!


There was also a "Hall of Athletes", where a lot of different sporting heroes from around the world were presented. Over 90 sporting icons were profiled here, and I spotted a few familiar faces - for example Jonah Lomu.


There was also a part which invited the visitors to physical activity. Not so fun since I was on my own, but I can see families with young kids, or sports crazy and competitive people have a blast here.
I walked through this bit fairly quickly and went off in another Uber to my next stop instead - to the Modern Art Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment