Thursday 25 May 2023

Doha, Day 1. Museum of Islamic Arts

We continued our sightseeing with another museum, and one that I was really looking forward to visiting - the Museum of Islamic Arts. It certainly didn't disappoint! Oaw!
The building here is stunning as well, situated along the Doha Corniche. It is influenced by ancient Islamic architecture and designed by the architect I.M Pei, the same architect who designed the pyramid outside the Louvre in Paris.


This visit I started in the souvenir shop, although I quickly realised I wanted to shop so much... that I had to return after our tour in the galleries.


The building is stunning both on the outside and inside. The large atrium which spanned the full 5 floors high, and culminated into a large dome, was spectacular. Also having this large glass facade towards the sea, a nice touch.


The museum displays Islamic art from the 7th to the 20th century. The collection is one of the world's most complete collections of Islamic artifacts. It originates from three continents and includes metal work, glass, textiles, wood work, jewelry and ceramics. Many objects I would recognise, having similar ones on display at the Louvre Abu Dhabi.



One of my favourite objects! Look at his face!




The galleries were organised according to historical and cultural themes, periods and geography. The Islamic craftsmanship is explored in many different ways.




Such a great visit! I loved it! I took so many photos, and learned so much although it was hard to absorb it all. I will have to go back again next time I come to Doha for sure.
Here we have the skyline of the Pearl behind us, where Anna and Andrew lives in one of the skyrises:


And the view towards the marina, and the city:


And - my souvenirs (read: four new books..!):

No comments:

Post a Comment