Thursday 17 November 2022

Emotional

I have been really emotional the past week getting ready for the move. I feel like my skin is really thin, and my emotions are all over the place.

We have spent nearly nine years in this house, all our time here in Abu Dhabi. Nathan moved in a few weeks before the kids and I arrived, with a bed, a sofa, the fridge, the BBQ and the TV. All he needed.
We arrived on a Monday night, and five days later our shipping came from Brunei at the same day as all the furniture we had bought from IKEA - it was literally like a pop-up house.

I know it probably doesn't bother him, but I feel rather sad that Lucas didn't quite get to say goodbye to the house when he left in August. He departed with one suitcase, to start his new life, expecting to come back home at Christmas; and now, he will come back to "our" home, not his. A brand new place, that doesn't have a room that is his, only a guest room. It's weird, it feels like we are leaving all our memories as a family behind, as we leave this house.

I have had to pack up Lucas' room and sort it out. Some things have been packed up for posterity, for one day when he might have his own kids, or at least his own home. Other things have been packed up for him to go through when he comes back, as he wasn't able to bring everything with him in one go in the summer. It has made me really soppy and emotional.

I have actually been living in two houses in every country since I met Nathan. First my apartment in Copenhagen, then we moved together in his. In England we were first in the cottage in the countryside, then in Horsham; and in Brunei we stayed almost a year in Rimba before moving to Simpang 1058 where we saw out our time there.
Now we are swopping out our KCA villa for an apartment in Al Zeina; and I'm sure it will be absolutely fine, once we have moved in and made it a bit homely.

But still, it's sad leaving this place. It has been good to us and given us many lovely memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment