Thursday 9 April 2020

Corona Diary, Day 26-31. Third week of home school

Day 27, Sunday 5 April
Third week of home school, which means earlier mornings. I don't mind. I do like my routine, even this new one. Our days are pretty much same-same, catching up with news with the morning coffee, exercising, lunch, more coffee, a project or two or a spot of reading, maybe some Zoom-calls with friends and family, dinner preparations, maybe a drink outside in the garden, TV-time - and repeat.

The different emirates now have different restrictions. As of today Dubai is on a 24h lock down, for (at least) the next two weeks. In theory this means that you are not allowed out of your house at all. One person per household can go get necessities, but only after having applied for a permit online stating where you are planning to go and for how long etc; and you have to wear a mask and gloves at all times outside your own home.
I guess Abu Dhabi will be going down the same route soon, so in preparation I have been looking at videos on YouTube on how to make your own masks (they don't have to be medical), as there are none to buy anywhere. I guess that is a project as good as any to keep me busy this week!
Suits a quote I read recently: "If you are coming out of weeks of quarantine without having learnt a new skill, a new language or a new side hustle - time was never the issue".

Day 28, Monday 6 April

I have been having many good days lately, and I'm really grateful I manage to keep my spirits up. Although it seems like my brain is processing it all during the night as I'm sleeping really badly. I go to bed pretty much the same time (early) every evening, but I keep waking up every so often, and really have trouble falling back to sleep. Every time I do I have a different weird dream. I guess being a person who is always planning ahead and liking to be in control, my brain is struggling with the one-day-at-a-time part and trying to deal with all the emotions somehow. I hope it'll get better.

Today's entertainment was clearing out, refolding and sorting all the bed linen in the house, sorting the guest bedroom storage spaces and also going through all the wardrobes in Lucas' room. Fun, fun, fun! This house is going to be so well organised and super tidy by the end of this quarantine time.

Day 29, Tuesday 7 April
Cleaning day today. To the kids surprise it had already been a week since last time, so we were all on it again! It's a great feeling though when it's all done, the house is sparkling and we all sit down with some well deserved drinks, of different kinds.
Another nice thing that happened today, or actually after yesterdays reshuffle in the wardrobes, was that Lucas got out some of his boxes full of Lego and started building some Star Wars space ships! It sure had been a while, nice to see some activity that doesn't involve screens!

Day 30, Wednesday 8 April

Todays afternoon project was to clean out and sort two of my kitchen cupboards. I ran out of steam about halfway through, but managed to finish after a treat of chocolate. I guess if I stick to just one or two cupboards or wardrobes a day I wont be bored for a while, and then I can just start all over from the beginning again!

Day 31, Thursday 9 April
Three weeks of home school done. We will be heading into the weekend with pizza night and the last ever episode of 'Modern Family' tonight.
I've been feeling rather down today, I guess the good mood couldn't last forever. I did my exercise this morning, and baked some very tasty hot cross buns, but been feeling blue and sad all day. The big worries and the hopelessness in this whole situation just gets to me every so often. Here's to a better day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment