Sunday 9 April 2017

Shine bright

As many others I have followed the news with horror the last few days, after the truck attack in the Swedish capital Friday afternoon.
I still feel sick to my stomach. I remember back in 2010 when a suicide bomber blew himself up not far from the scene of this attack, just hours after I had walked down that same pedestrian street. The thoughts of what could've been stuck with me for a long time.


The news reports have been impossible to take in, and the eye witnesses' stories even worse. The only good thing in this has been to read about how in the hours after the attack, the Swedes mobilized and helped each other in a stunning outpouring of solidarity. They opened up their homes, offered transportation and food for people that were stuck in the city and truly banded together. Swedes are often considered unfriendly and cold, but the way people have been reaching out to each other the past few days have been remarkable.

The darkness is spreading, and these things can happen everywhere. I hate what it does to me, I hate the fear and the anxiety, the sickness to my stomach, and the feeling that I would like to wrap up everybody I love and just hibernate in safe cave - forever.

But life goes on, because it has to, and we can't give in to the fear.
Shine bright to drive away the darkness.
Take care of each other. 💙💛

No comments:

Post a Comment