Monday 25 April 2022

Blast from the past

Kathleen and I visited another exhibition at Manarat al Saadiyat the other day: 'Zemanna- Replaying the 90s'. An exhibition about the decade that here in the UAE as seen as the beginning of the major change and expansion that this country has gone through.


Artists were commissioned to present some interactive installations, and they each explored this time in different ways. What led to the 1990s and what did the 1990s lead to?
Here is Past Voices, as the cassette culture was something very big here:


The 90s Kid, two time capsules, with a lot of elements that I recognised:



My favourite installation was the Al-Burkan, The Volcano Fountain. A play with the prominent landmark that once stood on the Abu Dhabi Corniche.
A mass or everyday items in colour, chunky technology and a wish to be playful. Many, many objects of my youth here! Once these things were super modern, now they are considered vintage. As am I soon!




A very funky little exhibition, both for us 90s kids - but also for OUR kids I guess, to get a glimpse and idea of how the world looked like back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment