Friday 29 April 2022

Hilma af Klint

Sadly a couple of my closest friends are moving back to Sweden this summer, which sucks, big time. I guess I'm still in a bit of a denial about it, but it's hard pretending when they start emptying their houses, and selling off things.
We don't need any more furniture, but I still went to have a look at what Petra was getting rid off, and to my joy I found something that I actually had been looking for - a poster that fit right into our living area.


I had an empty space to fill on the wall over the sofa, but since this poster was so big I had to move things around a little bit, and moved the one from this spot to the opposite wall - and hung this here by my reading chair. I LOVE the colours!

Also, it is lovely because this is actually a print by Swedish artist Hilma af Klint (1862-1944), after a painting called No 7, Adulthood from 1907, which is part of The Ten Largest, a series of the Paintings for the Temple. The real painting is very big, measuring 2x3 meters.
Hilma af Klint was an artist that largely worked away from the art world, without participating in exhibitions or publishing manifestos. She also stated that her work was not to be shown at all until 20 years following her death. Discovered largely thanks to the success of exhibitions in the 1980s, and she became a big name after the 2018 exhibition with her works became the most visited exhibition ever at the Guggenheim NY.
Af Klint created abstract art years before Kandinsky, and experimented with drawing guided by the unconscious decades before the Surrealists; she is now considered one of the pioneers of abstraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment