Saturday 18 September 2021

Long time no see, Dubai!

Today I went on an ADVENTURE! Or at least, so it felt - after not having been outside Abu Dhabi city since before the pandemic started (apart from the Sweden-trips). Last time I went to Dubai was the first week of January 2020, and since then, I haven't left our home town to go anywhere else in the country!

But today, it was finally time! Linda and I went to Dubai for the day! So excited!
I got my PCR on Thursday to make sure I had the 'E'-status on my AlHosn, to be able to reenter again. Funnily enough, it was then announced this afternoon that from tomorrow, there will be no more requirements for testing to enter Abu Dhabi! Ha ha ha! (I was still actually happy we went today, so I got to experience the famous border crossing..!)

Our plan was to visit two different exhibitions which had been on both of our radars for a while. The first one was 'Infinity des Lumières' at Dubai Mall.


This is an immersive one-of-a-kind experience of art, using the very latest technology.


Currently running at this space was a Van Gogh "show" which took us through the evolution of Van Goghs art. It was so cool to walk around the rooms, and experience every angle and perspective, and become completely one with the artwork.

The art came to life on both the walls and the floor, super exciting and powerful! Quite a sensory experience, especially since there was an especially created soundtrack to accompany the art.


One of my favourites, The Starry Night (1889). It was mesmerising to stand in the middle of these big rooms, as the art swirled and pulsated around us, in sync with the music which was so perfectly echoing all of the artwork. Art coming to life - who would've thought!?


Cool selfie-spot!


Van Gogh painted more than 43 self-portraits during his short career. Here you can see f.e with the green background Self Portrait Dedicated to Paul Gauguin (1888).


The Wheatfield with Crows (1890), painted just a few days before Van Gogh took his own life. This powerful work became his pictorial testament.


The second part of the "show", was called Dreamed Japan.
Van Gogh and many other artists of his time, as the Impressionists before them, were very inspired by the Ukiyo-e prints and the Japonisme that swept through Europe in the 19th century. This part of the experience focused on prints from Japan, like fish, patterns, floating lanterns and my favourite - falling cherry blossoms. All displayed in a dream-like way, very, very poetic.


The Great Wave (1831).

I can't wait to see which artist they will choose to display in this format next! I certainly will come back! This was incredibly inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment