Wednesday 8 July 2020

Corona routines

Day 121, Wednesday 8 July
I was talking to a friend yesterday who wondered if I'm not going crazy doing the exact same thing every day; that it didn't sound healthy.
I don't know if it's unhealthy (and of course I have been going crazy, and I have hit rock bottom more than once as documented here on the blog), but to me it has become something comforting. I am already the type of person who loves order, routines and everyday life, maybe that's why; but I also believe that in this situation, having routines means that you can at least control something, in this crazy life we are living.
My days start exactly the same every day:

Wake up, usually by myself around 9 am
Pull the curtains
Toilet, wash, put my contacts in
Get dressed in my workout gear, put my Apple Watch on
Grab my water bottle and go downstairs
Empty dishwasher if needed, pull the curtains, turn on some music if it's not already on etc
Boil four eggs and make a cup of coffee
Start the Roborock (LOVE it by the way!)
Read the news and surf the web for a bit
Eat two of the eggs, and enjoy another cup of coffee
Fill my water bottle and get ready to workout
Spend about 2 hours in my 'Escape Room', doing some treadmill, sometimes some Wii tennis, but mostly at the moment cardio- and/or strength training.
Wake the kids before 12
Shower and get dressed
Eat the other two eggs and some vegetables for lunch, with more coffee
And... get on with the day!

From here on it can look a bit different. Today for example we are cleaning, as it didn't happen yesterday. Some days I end up back in front of the computer, some days back in bed with a book or a podcast. Some days I fall asleep on the sofa for a bit (could happen today, as we had a power cut last night which of course woke us all up... zzzzz). Some days I Zoom with friends.
Usually I'm in charge of getting the groceries, so some days I go to the shops. I am also mostly the one making dinner, so that happens in the late afternoon. But as you can see there is no huge variations in my days, no.

I have been thinking that as boring as this feels now... eventually I will miss this life too though, the very slow and controlled (and super safe!) living in our own little bubble. I hope that the closeness we have developed to each other in the family throughout these months, will still be there forever - even though I do wish that our lives get a little bit more exciting, soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment