Friday 3 April 2020

Corona Diary, Day 21-23. Second week of home school

Day 21, Tuesday 31 March
Woke up this morning with a huge headache. I hadn't slept well due to weird dreams, and then waking up and realizing that the real world is still just as much a nightmare made me start the day with some tears. I do try hard just taking one day at a time, and making the best I can of each day, but some days that's just harder than others.

Having no cleaning help in any more, we have decided that Tuesday afternoons after school will be cleaning days. Very methodically we got through cleaning the whole house and our outdoor areas both at the front and back really quickly today. All thanks to the whole family taking part; who would've thought we would be bonding over cleaning! I guess that's another good thing coming out of this, the kids will get all the basic household skills down.

Day 22, Wednesday 1 April
Today has been one of the good days. Everyone has been in a good mood, quite a few laughs together and even a family workout session (another first for us, ha ha!) after school! I did my basic exercise in the morning, made lemon curd and some banana bread, and cooked a super delicious lamb korma for dinner. For the first time in forever, making a weekly menu and sticking to it is working for us! We need to plan our grocery shop, to avoid going out too often, and we are also taking this time to experiment a bit with new, sometimes more time-consuming, recipes too. It's been fun!

I got to reflect a bit today though, about friendship.
I'm sure that we will all refer back to this time eventually as the big Corona-crisis. But by having friends all over the world it has become clear to me how different we all experience the current situation, depending on where we are, and on how our countries deal with this new threat. Sweden being very much one of the "odd ones out". In Sweden it's business as usual, not in all, but in many ways.
Because of this I've found it hard to connect with a few of my friends back home. Obviously I don't have much to share having stared at the same four walls (and the same three people!) for the last many weeks, while in Sweden kids are going to school, and many people work, just as usual.
They manage to look ahead and wonder "when we have planned to come for summer holidays", while here - well, we can just do one day at a time. Our plans for June (which is an eternity away!), is hoping will have survived the three and a half months of homeschooling with some sanity intact AND maybe also be allowed to - leave our houses!
I find myself chatting the most to those friends who are in the same situation as myself, and hence the same mindset. I feel lucky I have friends all over the world who can give their different views on this situation, it's healthy; but I must admit I find it hard to chat with some friends in Sweden. This Corona is changing our lives in so many ways, I hope it wont affect my friendships too

Day 23, Thursday 2 April
Compared to the last school week, this 2nd week of homeschooling has gone by surprisingly fast. Today I decided that since it's April, I can decorate the house for Easter. Quite often we have been traveling for Easter, as it usually falls on or around our Spring Break, and those years I haven't bothered decorating. This year we are very much here (all day, every day...) so time to break out all the chickens, Easter bunnies and pastel colours! Even if it's just for us, I enjoy it so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment