Sunday 10 November 2019

10,000 years of Luxury

Yes, I admit I might be bias since I'm working there (and I guess I should be, otherwise I wouldn't be the right person for my job) but, I absolutely LOVE the new temporary exhibition at the Louvre Abu Dhabi!
It's massive, with over 350 beautiful pieces - showcasing the history of luxury as a journey through different times and cultures.


Here (the little dot to the left in the photo) is one of the masterpieces - the world's oldest known natural pearl! It was found on the Abu Dhabi island of Marawah in 2017. Can you believe it, it's nearly 8,000 years old!


A fragment of velvet from Italy, dating back to the 15th century!


The exhibition features all sorts of objects, including jewellery, visual art, furniture, design and fashion; and it explores the relationship between beauty and value across civilizations, grouping different things around influential turning points how societies have used and though about luxury.


So many pretty, interesting and fascinating things! I didn't have time to see it all in one go, there was just so much, but luckily the exhibition is there until the 1st of February so I have many more occasions to come back in and explore.




Here is a glittery Cartier tiara, can you see me "wear" it? And a Louis Vuitton trunk.


Amazing one-of-a-kind super creatively designed dresses, and the history of high-heeled shoes illustrated in one of the displays:


But by far my favourite piece was the single art piece displayed in the very last room of the exhibit - a Swiss hourglass designed by the artist Marc Newson. It sits beautifully by the window overlooking the sea - and it reminds us of the greatest luxury of them all... time.

No comments:

Post a Comment